Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Finding symmetry in nature

I found flowers leaves fruit and vegetables in my backyard. They are all symmetrical. Some straight through the middle  and some are symmetrical in lots of ways. I chopped a cherry tomato in half and it was perfectly symmetrical even the seeds and it kind of looked like a dogs face inside. When I chopped a yellow cherry tomato in half long ways it was not symmetrical inside. It might have been if I chopped it the other way.

I found an orange flower that is symmetrical more than 8 ways.

I tried to make a symmetrical flower arrangement of some of the things I used. It was almost symmetrical but some parts were a bit wonky.

These were symmetrical:







This first picture was the green tomato that was symmetrical in the inside when cut open. It looks like a face. The yellow one was not because I cut it long ways.



Here are the lines I did in Google drawings


 and my arrangement











1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Emilie,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the Summer Learning Journey.

    This is another fun activity as it combines art and maths, two of my favourite subjects. I think you did an amazing job creating your symmetry collage and you drew the lines of symmetry well, especially on the orange flower where you drew multiple lines of symmetry.

    It is awesome to see you completing both the kick start and step up activities, great job.

    I think your symmetry art looks awesome, I like that the lines and colours are all symmetrical and it is a beautiful flower arrangement.

    What aspects of this activity did you find fun or challenging?

    Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your posts over the summer.

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post